Thursday, July 22, 2010

Running a Soap Company...

In my 'About Me' section, I briefly explained how I got started in the soap making business. It just happened on a whim! For some reason or another, upon reaching my 30's, I suddenly was bitten by the creativity bug! Believe it or not, as a child I never thought I had creativity within myself. I always wanted to be artistically gifted, but for some reason it was never there.

Fast forward 20 years later, I started off with scrapbooking! Scrapbooking? Yes, that hobby was started with my youngest sister's sweet 16 birthday party. I wanted to capture the event in words and pictures, and design it in her favorite color, pink. From there I went on to create framed scrap pages for special birthdays for my elderly relatives and my mother. I was taken by surprise with the creativity that poured from me into these projects! Wow, who would've thought lil ol' me could be so talented?! I began to focus more on the soaps after taking some samples to work and selling out. I began building a small customer base, and that's when it hit me. People love my soaps! So from there, I began to branch out into other bath and body products such as lotions, scrubs, shower gels, bath salts, bath teas, bath milks, and bath fizzies.

Within the past year, I had to take a break from soapmaking because I began a new career in aviation. After working in telecommunications for over 10 years and suddenly switching to something I had no experience, was and still is quite a challenge. I missed my soaps so much, but I really needed to focus on learning Air Traffic Control. ATC is no walk in the park, but it is a very exciting career! It certainly can take a toll on me some days, but that is the nature of the beast, the beast being training! Slowly but surely, I'm inching my way back to my soaps!

2 comments:

  1. Wow-I thought I was reading my "About Me"! Only difference, I was 34 when I started.
    I can't wait to see what you have in store.
    Thanks for visiting my bloggy :) ~Tammy


    "It just happened on a whim! For some reason or another, upon reaching my 30's, I suddenly was bitten by the creativity bug! Believe it or not, as a child I never thought I had creativity within myself. I always wanted to be artistically gifted, but for some reason it was never there.

    Fast forward 20 years later, I started off with scrapbooking!"

    ReplyDelete